Nairobi school is a national school
Located on the outskirts of Nairobi, about 11 km from the city center. Nairobi School is a National Boys Boarding school admitting boys from the Ages of 12-19 yrs.It offers the Kenya Secondary Certificate of Education (KCSE) upon completion of a 4 year course.
The Examination is administered by the Kenya National examination Council (KNEC) a National examining body.
At its picturesque 200-Acre campus established in 1929, Nairobi school provides a well-rounded education to approximately 1104 students who come from the 8 provinces that make up Kenya.
Nairobi school was initially started in 1902 around the present Nairobi Railways club as a European school to serve the families of the I.B.E.A Company and later the white settler community. Out of the foresight and wisdom of the late Lord Delamere in proposing the building a senior Boys school (now Nairobi Primary), and the support of the then governor, Sir Edward Grigg, the railway reserve grounds near Kabete home for the school.
In 1928, Sir Herbart Baker was commissioned to plan a school similar to Winchester school, attended by both Lord Delamere and the then Governor-Kenya colony, in Winchester, an old town in Southern England dating from about 516AD, after the Romans left England. It was a major administrative and silver minting center, and hence, a Saxon Capital of England form 1066AD.
The school named after this town was originally founded to educate boy choristers. It was later re-founded in 1541 after King Henry VIII had destroyed the monasteries. Today the school is one of the leading independent schools in England. Captain Nicholson (recently retired form the loyal navy college, Dartmouth) designed the uniform and prepared school rules and regulations to match the discipline of the navy tradition. In the meantime Mrs. Nicholson planned the gardens.
On the 24thseptember 1929 the foundation stone was laid by his Excellency Lt. Col. Sir Edward Grigg K.C.M K.C.V.O, D.S.O, M.C, Governor of Kenya colony, for a school with a capacity of 80 boys. Interestingly under the stone were preserved a copy of the day